The mission of the Mayor’s Citizen Task Force on the Convention Center Project is to evaluate and recommend to Mayor Sanders the necessary steps required to ensure San Diego’s ability to protect and expand local jobs and retain and enhance its current market position in the convention and meeting industry.
- To review and evaluate the feasibility of an expansion to the current Convention Center and related developments or enhancements and the impact on generating new jobs;
- To identify and evaluate various financing options for an expanded convention center that relies mainly on revenues generated by the Convention Center and/or related developments or enhancements;
- To identify key issues related to public access, resource conservation and waterfront enhancement;
- To encourage public comment on the convention center project by holding meetings at locations and times accessible to the public;
- To present a final set of findings and recommendations to Mayor Sander’s no later than September 2009. All meetings will be conducted in accordance with the Brown Act.
- Co-Chairs Roles and Responsibilities
The Co-Chairs for this Task Force will serve in the public’s interest to provide the requisite leadership to guide the discovery and analysis process in order to make recommendations to the Mayor on the expansion of the Convention Center as an economic driver for the City. To make certain there is clear understanding of the Co-Chairs’ roles and responsibilities for all concerned the following information delineates their functions.